Monday, May 27, 2013

Pesto


You've probably heard it before, but pesto is an IC staple. Some of my favorite ways to enjoy it is on pasta, as pizza sauce, combined with cream cheese for a dip/spread, and simply as a way to add a punch of flavor to any dish.

What I love about pesto is that it has a nice bold punch of flavor, yet is completely IC-safe. This is a rarity, and I love that it is something to safely enjoy in a variety of ways.

The recipe makes quite a bit of pesto- around 1 and a half cups.  I usually make it and use it to top pasta for dinner that evening. I then freeze the remaining pesto in 1/4 - 1/2 cup batches as this is what I usually need for any recipe. 

Ingredients:
3 cups fresh basil leaves, packed
1tsp minced garlic
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese (fresh seems to be safest for me, but I've heard other people say that they prefer the canned)
1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 cup pine nuts
1/2 cup fresh parsley

1. Spread pine nuts on a cookies sheet and place in the oven at 375 degrees until golden, about 5-10 minutes. Make sure to stir them at least once during the cooking process to ensure that they don't get too brown on one side.
2. Combine all ingredients in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth!

1 comment:

  1. This sounds SO good! I finally searched and found all of your stuff on Pinterest. Yay! Your recipes look amazing!! So nice to find IC friendly recipes that look good! Thank you...

    ReplyDelete