Monday, May 27, 2013

Green Smoothie


One of my most missed treats are smoothies. Because many fruits are high in acid, smoothies tend to be a caution on the IC diet. I stumbled upon a green smoothie on Pinterest one day, and I was intrigued. Unfortunately the recipe was disappointing, because it included fruits not on the IC-Diet.

Well, the interest was planted, and I decided to give smoothies a try. It took a few times, but this is one of my favorite combinations of ingredients. The banana is definitely the strongest flavor, and I don't even taste the spinach or avocado. The liquid component of the smoothie is water given that pretty much all juices are a no-go. My favorite thing about this particular smoothie is the creamy-ness that it has because of the avocado. This is a very generously sized smoothie; it keeps me full for hours! You could definitely serve it as a snack for 2-3 people if wanted. 

Do be aware that bananas are a caution on the IC-Diet list because of the high potassium content. However, I tolerate them just fine assuming that my diet is good, and I don't go overboard. If you haven't tried them, try a small bit first and see how things go for you!

Ingredients:
1 banana
1 pear
1 avocado
1 cup spinach, packed
1 cup water
1/2 cup ice

Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth!

No comments:

Post a Comment