Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Chicken Broccoli Cheese Casserole

Some days, I do not know what I am thinking with trying to live a normal live and have IC.  I am in grad school for my masters in counseling, and the stress right now is unbearable.  Throw on some family issues/stress, the upcoming holidays, financial tightness (due to me quitting my job), it's no wonder my IC has been acting up so much.  Yesterday I had one of those solid emotional breakdowns after finding out that I do not, in fact, have a UTI, and that all this unceasing pain, despite my usual remedies, is only my IC.  ugh. So, I'll apologize for the lack of updates, but I know you know what it is like!

So after getting home from an awful day, I started poking around in my fridge and pantry.  There was nothing that was totally "safe" yet yummy and comforting.  I did have some rice, some broccoli, and some cheese on hand, so I decided to meander the internet to find some sort of casserole that I could modify to be totally safe and yummy.  I needed something easy; being in the kitchen for more than 30 minutes was simply not happening, so I decided on a recipe from Kristen from Iowa Girl Eats.  It was one of those recipes that didn't even need a whole lot of modifying- the best kind.  I also love that there are no cream of whatever condensed soups involved.  While I've found some Health Valley Soups are usually okay for me, it is reassuring to know that everything in a recipe is TOTALLY safe and on the green friendly foods list.   

Chicken Broccoli Cheese Casserole

Ingredients:
2 cups brown rice
4 cups chicken broth (I make my own)
4 cups broccoli florets (I used frozen because that was what I had)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 pound chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
1 teaspoon fresh minced garlic
3 tablespoons flour
2 cups milk, divided
2 cups shredded mild cheddar cheese
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder

Directions
1. Cook rice in chicken broth according to package directions.  In my case, I threw it all in the rice cooker and let it cook there.  Trust me or Kristen from Iowa Girl Eats on this- the rice is so much better cooked in chicken broth instead of water!
2. While rice is finishing cooking and broccoli is steaming, begin cooking the chicken.  Heat olive oil in skillet over medium heat.  Add chicken and garlic.  Cook for 5-7 minutes or until chicken is cooked through/no longer pink inside.  Remove from heat and set aside
3. When rice has about 10 minutes left to cook, steam broccoli in microwave for 5-7 minutes (I used frozen broccoli, if you are using fresh, adjust cooking time accordingly) 
4. In a small bowl, whisk together flour and 1/2 cup milk.  When flour is completely dissolved, pour into medium saucepan along with the remaining 1 and 1/2 cups milk.  Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is thickened, about 5-10 minutes.  Remove from heat and stir in 1 and 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, salt, and garlic powder, stirring until melted.  
5. Preheat oven to broil.
6. Butter 9x13 baking dish.  (I do not use Pam or any similar non-stick spray because of the chemicals.  I simply take about a tablespoon of butter and rub it around in the baking dish so that the dish is completely coated) 
7. In a large bowl, stir together the cooked rice, steamed broccoli, chicken, and cheese mixture.  Pour into prepared 9x13 baking dish. Top with remaining 1/2 cup cheese.
8. Broil in oven until cheese on top starts to brown, about 5 minutes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment