Saturday, January 26, 2013

Granola Bars

One of my most favorite snacks are granola bars.  Before IC, I would often eat popular brands like Special K, Natures Own, or Kashi.  Since getting IC, I have tried several different store bought granola bars with not so great results. Brands like Kashi and Luna which boast of all natural/organic ingredients still bothered my IC- even if the ingredients didn't list anything that seemed problematic.  I tried Larabars, but couldn't get past the taste, so I don't really know if they triggered a flare... But whatever the case, after trying different granola bars, I decided that maybe store bought was not the way to go.  That's when I started searching online for different granola bar recipes.   I stumbled upon this recipe for Playgroup Granola Bars, and figured I would give it a try.  These granola bars are amazing.  I almost always have some stored away in my pantry to enjoy throughout the week.  Another great thing about this recipe is the quantity.  I get about 16 generously sized granola bars from each batch.  They also freeze perfectly.  Click on the link for the original recipe.  Below is my preferred way to enjoy them.





2 C. oats (I use instant because that is what I always have on hand)
1/2 C. brown sugar
1/2 C. wheat germ
3/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 C. wheat flour
1/2 C. all-purpose flour
3/4 cup raisins or white chocolate chips
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 C. canola oil
1/2 C. honey
1 egg, beaten

2 tsp vanilla extract


1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Generously grease a 9x13 inch baking pan.

2. In a large bowl, mix together the oats, brown sugar, wheat germ, cinnamon, flour, raisins and salt. Make a well in the center, and pour in the oil, honey, egg, and vanilla. Mix well using your hands. Pat the mixture evenly into the prepared pan.

3. Bake for 25-30 minutes in the preheated oven, until the bars begin to turn golden at the edges. Cool for 5 minutes, then cut into bars while still warm. Do not allow the bars to cool completely before cutting, or they will be too hard to cut.



No comments:

Post a Comment