Thursday, July 3, 2014

Pesto Quinoa Salad

I'm constantly on the hunt for recipes that I can make and bring to social events. I found this pesto quinoa salad recipe and modified it a bit.  It's often hard to find something tasty, IC-approved, and normal to bring to a gathering.  This salad fits the bill even if it is a little hippie/girly.  I say this because all of the females raved, and my dad said, "Good thing I love you, because I do NOT like your salad." Just proves you can't please everyone! However, I did get two requests for this recipe, so I call it a success.  And might I add that I love having it in the fridge for a quick, no prep (once it's made!) lunch.  Hope you enjoy it as much as I do! 

Pesto Quinoa Salad

Ingredients:
1 cup quinoa
2 cups water
1 can chickpeas 
1 red bell pepper
1 yellow bell pepper
1 orange bell pepper
1 cucumber (leave on the side if you have picky, non-cucumber-loving guests)
1 cup crumbled feta cheese 
1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
1 cup pesto 

Directions:
1. Rinse quinoa (this evidently makes it taste less bitter.) Put quinoa in medium saucepan and cover with 2 cups water.  Heat on stove over medium high heat. When it comes to a boil, turn heat to low, cover, and let simmer for 20 minutes.  Remove from heat and fluff with a fork (all water should be absorbed. If it is not, return to heat, cover, and cook a few more minutes.) Put quinoa in large bowl and stick in fridge to cool.
2. Chop up peppers and cucumber. 
3. Combine all ingredients and store in fridge for a few hours to chill, serve, and enjoy! 

Notes: if you want a bright green salad, follow all the previous steps, but do not mix in the pesto.  Prepare the pesto and mix into the salad right before serving.  Once the pesto sits on the salad for a few hours, the salad turns a brown-ish color... The flavors come together and it tastes better (in my opinion,) but it doesn't look as appealing. You make the call! 

No comments:

Post a Comment